Prolegis Lawyers is committed to protecting your privacy and the confidentiality of the Personal Information you provide to us. This policy sets out our policies in relation to the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information. In providing legal services (Services), Prolegis Lawyers collects, uses and may disclose Personal Information about individuals which is information that can be used to (or is reasonably likely to) identify an individual (Personal Information). We handle that Personal Information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APP) under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and comply with the Spam Act 2003 (Cth) which regulates the sending of emails for marketing purposes.
How Personal Information is collected
We mainly collect Personal Information in the process of taking instructions to provide Services. We may also collect Personal Information from other sources such as clients, other individuals, public records, mailing lists, contractors, staff, recruitment agencies and our business associates.
The kinds of Personal Information collected
We may collect the following types of Personal Information:
- Identity Information: Personal details including but not limited to name, location, date of birth, nationality, details of licenses & registrations, associations, family details, employment details and other information that allows us to identify who individuals are.
- Contact Information: Information including but not limited to email address, telephone & fax number, residential, business and postal address and other information that allows us to contact an individual.
Information that Individuals provide to us:
Information, instructions or correspondence that individuals provide to us.
- We do not generally collect health, medical and other sensitive information about individuals unless we collect it from them directly or we are required or authorised by law to do so. E.g. the obtaining of medical reports in the context of litigation.
- If the Personal Information is not able to be collected it may restrict the level or types of services which we can provide to an individual
Storage and security of your Personal Information
- We take reasonable steps to ensure the security of all Personal Information we collect and ensure that such information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- We hold Personal Information on a secure database which can be accessed only by authorised personnel and in paper files which are stored in locked cabinets.
- Personal Information will be retained by Prolegis for as long as is necessary to provide the Services and for a reasonable time after the provision of the services ends. Under the Solicitors' Rules we must retain all files, which may include Personal Information, for a period of seven (7) years after completion or termination of the Services except where there are client instructions or legislation to the contrary.
The purposes for collection Personal Information
We collect, hold, use and may disclose Personal Information for the principle purpose of providing Services and to support and enable the provision of Services. As a secondary purpose we market the Services that Prolegis does or could provide. Our marketing will always identify who we are and how we can be contacted if the recipient does not wish to receive any further marketing material.
Access to Personal Information
- An individual has the right to obtain access to any Personal Information held about them by us and to advise us of any inaccuracy. There are some exceptions to this right set out in the APP. E.g. If the Personal Information is the subject of Solicitor-client privilege. To make a request to access any information held about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at the postal address provided below.
- We may require you to verify your identity and specify what information you require. Prolegis may charge a fee to cover the cost of verifying your application and locating, retrieving, reviewing and copying any material requested. If the information sought is extensive, Prolegis will advise the likely cost in advance.
Correcting inaccurate Personal Information
We are committed to collecting, holding and using only up-to-date and correct Personal Information about an individual. We will take steps to correct Personal Information which is advised in writing by the individual to be inaccurate.
If you have a concern about how we handle your Personal Information, please let us know. Your concern should be addressed in writing to email@example.com or to the postal address provided below. If our response to the concern is considered by you to be unsatisfactory you can raise it with the Australian Information Commissioner at http://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/privacy-complaints.
We do not disclose Personal Information to any overseas recipient except with the consent of the individual in relation to the provision of Services.